Tom O’Donnell, PhD, PE
Practice Areas: Engineering Design & Analysis, ASME Design & Analysis, Finite Element Analysis, Vibration Analysis, Fatigue Analysis; Failure Analysis, Forensic Engineering
Performs complex thermal, structural, vibration, fatigue, creep, failure evaluation, and finite element analysis of equipment including heat exchangers, vessels and refractory materials – to ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel (ASME B&PV) and other Code.
He is an expert in shock and vibration analysis of equipment. His engineering evaluations and expert witness investigations have included:
- Design and analysis of equipment including pressure vessels, heat exchangers, retorts, reactors, condensors, steam dumps, mist eliminators, scrubbers, vibrofluidizers
- Structural analysis per ASCE, ANSI 690, AISC, UBC, IBC and ASME Codes
- Structural design and analysis of equipment including skids, racks, frames, rail car trucks, dynamic brake system resistor bans, power plant circuit breakers
- Shock and vibration analyses and design optimization of machinery and components on shipboard applications.
- Numerous analysis of equipment & components to ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) Boiler & Pressure Code.
- Environmental systems design and analyses.
- Structural and thermal analyses of a 2000 psi steam end for a chemical facility power plant.
- Investigation of a failure of a water tower support leg.
- Stress and fatigue analysis of high temperature bellows for a jet engine test
- Structural analysis of a distillation vacuum tower after damage by a fire.
- Non-linear elastic-plastic analysis of replacement steam generators.
- Structural analyses of condensers and heat exchangers for use on submarines.
- Creep, creep buckling investigations of steel vessels and refractory materials.
- Test program oversight, Project management, and ASME NQA-1 Quality Assurance program oversight.
- Seismic analysis of tanks, vessels and structures.
- Tank evaluations according to API Standards.
- Shock and vibration analyses on structural supports of oily waste systems.
- Missile strike analyses for nuclear reactor vessel head replacement packages.
- Seismic and LOCA evaluations of replacement nuclear plant components.
- Structural reliability and risk assessment analyses of nuclear power plant welds.
- Product design, development, prototyping, analysis, testing and optimization.
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation Tool Prototypes – design, analysis, instrumentation, testing, optimization and procurement.
- Litigation related engineering engineering investigations and testimony.
This is a resume summary – to learn more, give us a call. 412.835.5007