We performed a failure analysis on a refinery piping control loop system. The accident occurred during startup of a desulfurizer at an oil refinery. The failure had resulted in a fire that caused considerable equipment damage.
Our engineers performed hydraulic and vibration analysis on the control valve piping loop. The results showed that the piping failed in fatigue, due to loop vibration caused by turbulent flow through the control valve. We subsequently designed lateral bracing to prevent future failures.
We perform failure analysis for clients in industries including energy, mining and petrochemical.
– Design Analysis of FRP Piping for a Flue Gas Desulfurization System
– Failure Analysis of Ruptured Refinery Bellows
– Failure Analysis of Cracked Cylinder Liner
– Engineering Troubleshooting Services
– Petrochemical Plant Consulting
– Tom O’Donnell, PE
– Links to Engineering Resources
– Murals of Projects