An engineer was seriously burned when a thirty-nine inch expansion joint ruptured while workman were performing temporary repairs at a Texas refinery. The ruptured bellows spilled hot catalyst from a fluidizer catalytic cracking unit on the deck – on which the engineer had to cross to reach safety.
We were asked to perform a failure analysis on the bellows. We determined that:
- The stainless steel had not been heat-treated properly
- The steel was sensitized during fabrication and made susceptible to corrosive attack
We perform failure analysis on equipment including bellows, piping, valves and vessels.
Give us a call to discuss your engineering challenges.
– Stress, Vibration and Fatigue Analysis of Bellows
– Engineering Analysis of Design Errors in Electrostatic Precipitator
– Expert Witness Services
– Petrochemical Plant Consulting
– Industries Served