We performed a failure analysis of elevation gearboxes used to control an earth-station antenna. It was found that 3 gearboxes had failed at three separate locations, with less than six years of service. Metallurgical tests and engineering analysis were were also done.
We determined that the gearbox was of sound design and of quality fabrication. The stage gears did not show any signs of misalignment, wear or pitting. Lubrication appeared adequate. Observed damage was limited to the output pinions and ring gears. It is likely that the tooth or teeth on the output pinion initially broke, and the harder pinion teeth (400 + BHN) subsequently damaged ring gear teeth.
We perform failure analysis on gearboxes, industrial machinery and other equipment for clients in various industries.
– Metallurgical & Engineering Evaluation of Cracks in Aircraft Landing Gear
– Failure Analysis of a Boeing 737 Flight Control System
– Analysis of Defects on Blades of 304 Stainless Steel Mixer
– Forensic/ Expert Witness Services
– Engineering Troubleshooting