A coupling end of a 6-inch bore hydraulic cylinder from a 30 ton forming press failed at an automotive company’s manufacturing facilities. O’Donnell Consulting was asked to perform an investigation of the root cause. We performed materials testing and scanning electron microscopy, and discovered residual machine marks, which likely caused the crack initiation.
– Pitting Corrosion Investigation of Rotary Valve Impellers
– Failure Analysis on 3rd Stage Blade of a Gas Turbine
– Materials & Metallurgical Consulting
– Introduction to Metallurgy
– Links to Engineering Resources