When reinforced ductwork failed shortly after being placed in service, we were asked to perform an extensive failure analysis. The results determined that that the ductwork was overly-constrained. Thermal breathing and bending due to a thermal gradient that existed between the top and bottom surfaces were constrained, creating high thermal stresses. We redesigned the ductwork reinforcements and the structural supports.
– Failure Analysis & Redesign of a Cracked NASA Heat Exchanger
– Failure Analysis and Repair of an Overpressurized Storage Tank
– Failure Analysis Services
– Publications – Heat Exchangers, Pressure Vessels, Welds and Other Applications, Fatigue, Elevated Temperature
– Links to Engineering Resources