O’Donnell Consulting evaluates stress corrosion cracking and performs Fitness-For-Service
evaluations per API-579 and ASME Section II. We evaluate NDE test results, design weld repairs, and design safety constraints. We have proprietary SCC mitigation technology which has been successfully used in numerous applications.
Failures of structures often involve environmentally assisted cracking. Stress corrosion cracking (SCC) is one of the most common environmentally assisted failure modes encountered. It typically occurs due to improper materials selection or heat treatment, design issues, and unforeseen environmental conditions, i.e., inadequate maintenance, thermal transient conditions, or lack of consideration of residual stresses.
- Fitness-For-Service Evaluations
- Remaining Safe-Life Evaluations
- Metallurgical Evaluations
- Weld /Repair Technology
- Crack Growth Analyses
- Hydrogen Embrittlement Analyses
- Weldment Residual Stress Analyses
- Linear Elastic Fracture Mechanics
- Elastic-Plastic (J Integral) Fracture Mechanics
- Thermal Crack Growth Mitigation Techniques
- SCC Mitigation Applied to Weldments in Heat Exchangers, Pressure Vessels, Chemical Reactors, Nuclear Components
- Thermal and Mechanical Stress Relieving
- Custom Mechanical Clamps and Safety Devices
Bill O’Donnell, Sr. has published several technical papers related to stress corrosion cracking. A summary of these papers may be found here.
“Mitigation of Stress Corrosion in Reactor Nozzles and Core Structures”
“Mechanical Methods of Improving Resistance to Stress Corrosion Cracking in BWR Piping Systems”
“Advanced Methods of Improving Resistance to Stress Corrosion Cracking in BWR Piping Systems”
In considering the stress corrosion cracking problem in the heat affected zone of field welds in BWR primary pumping, the O’Donnell team developed a reliable mechanical stress improvement process which applies compressive stresses and is easy to control and verify.
O’Donnell Consulting Engineers performs safety analyses, Fitness-For-Service evaluations,
and troubleshooting services for the manufacturing, industrial, nuclear, aerospace, and petrochemical industries.
Call or Submit a Query to talk about your technical issues.